Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Link Round Up: Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras and Everything In Between

People always remember Valentine's Day in Feburary, but what they should really be remembering is Mardi Gras. Which, if you didn't know, is today.  For a holiday that may or may not have been inspired by the springtime orgies of ancient Romans, this gets surprisingly little recognition outside of New Orleans. So make your own party: cook up some jambalaya, mix some drinks, make yourself a Mardi Gras mask and see how many beads you can earn (no flashing required).

I'm currently working on a story for Saint Rose Chronicle about this one: formspring.me. Valleywag calls it "the sociopathic crack cocaine of oversharing". I have one, and I encourage everyone else to have one. Cause with a name like that, it has to be good.

I stumbled across this beauty and I couldn't help but share: Price Chopper, a grocery store with which I am very well acquainted, has started a blog. As a former grocery store employee (with the battle scars to prove it), I am both fascinated and disgusted by this new development. All I can say is this: let me see the blog of a Price Chopper Employee, a la Waiter Rant, and there will be one more satisfied customer. Or, better yet, let me write that blog myself.

Another airline mishap: "Silent Bob", aka actor, writer and film director Kevin Smith, was pulled off of a Southwest Airlines flight on Saturday because he "needed more than one seat to complete his flight comfortably."  After the YouTube success of "United Breaks Guitars" and the controversy over the sizing of Delta's new flight attendant uniforms, I'm willing to guess that the PR departments at these airlines are going to have their hands full.

And, finally, ladies (and gents): if your Valentine turned out to be a dud, take heart with some of these stories: the good, the bad and the funny.  Sometimes it really is better to break it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment