Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Bibliophile Asks: Is The Book Dying Out? (By Heather)


I love my Kindle. It is the latest in e-text technology that I have come across. Kindle is highly convenient; one can have access to many books at once without being in a bookstore or library.  Of course there are conveniences and luxuries that come along with a traditionally bound book as well. You will never have to be concerned about the battery life of the traditional book.

Is the book dying out? A question which has been asked at least once in each of my upper level English classes.  I certainly hope not. If the book is indeed a dying art, are Kindle and other technologies like it to blame? Maybe, but I don't think so.  I believe that e-text can work side-by-side traditional text.  I am a bibliophile, so I certainly hope that people keep buying hard copies of books.  I love everything about books! The smell of the paper. Turning the page. The moment when you place the bookmark in its place before returning to the real world.  I simply can't imagine a world without books.  Regardless of being a writer as that may make me biased, books have been an integral part of society for centuries.

Stop and imagine a world without books for a moment and how that would impact your life. Are you cringing yet? I am. Regardless of your apsirations, unless you live under a rock, you have read a book. Imagine trying to write a paper without the use of books, especially when Wikipedia is frowned upon by teachers.

Okay, I understand that not everyone loves the smell of paper. Maybe a couple of my fellow bibliophiles can relate? But really, an integral part of being a writer is reading until your eyes can't stay open anymore.  Writing is a craft that should be observed, studied and practiced.

No comments:

Post a Comment