Saturday, November 14, 2009

"I Was Told There'd Be Cake": A Review (By Heather)


Sloane Crosley is author of a collection of essays entitled I Was Told There'd Be Cake, a New York Times best seller. She writes with a certain wit and humor. I've read the book several times. Each time different things stick out to me but I allways come away having laughed and been quite entertained. Also, as a result of reading this book, I have promised myself never to be in the wedding of someone I went to high school with whom I have not spoken to in the last decade, for fear of an equally hideous version of a baby pink plaid bridesmaids dress. I can't wait to read Crosley's next collection of essays entitled How Did You Get This Number? due to be released in June of 2010.

Reading her essays made me remember some of my own lesser idiosyncrasies such as my own "pony problem," however at a much younger age. And how if I go back to volunteering, I would probably much rather work with troubled youth instead of in a museum with butterflies and one, very large moth. I have an irrational fear of moths in particular as well as other winged creatures. Perhaps I am jealous that I cannot fly? My own pony problem consisted of many variations of the plastic My Little Pony collection. However, instead of living in the kitchen, they would reside in my sister's antique nightstand which originally held a chamber pot. So I guess if one has a pony problem, you're bound to stash them in a weird place.

No comments:

Post a Comment